Friday, June 29, 2007
What is IVF??
IVF is a medical term for in vitro fertilisazion (bahasa=bayi tabung). There are some indications why IVF is used.
1. Female reproduction problem anatomically.
2. Availability female's eggs to be met by sperm.
3. Lack of number of viabel sperm.
The major purpose is to get a baby.
Basicly, female was induced to produced 15 fold eggs than normal cycle (per month women produce one egg). Then 4-5 health eggs are chosen and one sperm is injected into an egg by ICSI (intra cytoplasmic sperm injection) method. This process takes 3-4 days in laboratory equipment, and then is inserted into uterus. Done....
Look so simple...
However, it costs very expensive... and the succesfull rate is just around 20%.
Some issues that rise on IVF;
1. In some cases, sperms can be got from donors (means not her husbands when her husband does not have qualified sperms)
2. In some cases, the couple hires another party to become a surrogate mother
According to this web, this method is opposed by Catolic Church. Any idea guys about islam perspectives on it?
In Indonesia, IVF was introduced firstly in 1987 by Prof Sudradji Sumapradja; and Suci, Lestari and Melati were the first babies who were born by IVF method. They lives in Surabaya now..